albee's kitchen, cabramatta

Oho, Malaysian food. When it comes to Malaysian food, Mamak is pretty much the only Malaysian restaurant people are very familiar with. Today, we deviate from what we'd usually order when food buddies and I eat out at Cabramatta (pho, com tam etc) and decided to try Albee's Kitchen.

shop front:
left: tea tarik ice ($4.00) right: young coconut juice: ($3.50):
They charge 20 cents extra for ice! Teh tarik is kind of like milk tea only less sweet and there's a frothy foamy top. its called  拉茶 in Chinese which probably comes from "pulling the drink". The tea is poured or "pulled" back and forth in a container to give it that frothy top which also cools down the tea and also thoroughly mix the condensed milk in properly. For people who don't like milk tea because of its sweetness, drink this!

pandan chicken ($14.80) and coconut rice ($2.90):

The coconut rice was a disappointment since we were expecting to taste some sort of coconut or at least smell it. It just tasted like plain steamed rice.
The pandan chicken, is a must order! Pieces of chicken are wrapped with a pandan leaf stabbed with a toothpick and then fried! oh so tender meaty chicken. But don't expect a really strong pandan flavour, because you I think the pandan leaves are meant to keep the meat moist - to stop the juices from running out.

hokkian noodles ($10.80):

The noodles arrived and we were given a spoon instead of chopsticks or a fork. Everyone was blank for a few seconds. We tried to pick up noodles with our chopsticks from the plate and then found out the thick noodles are super slippery!(so the spoon is a necessity) It was actually sweeter than what we thought it would be like. Underneath the pile of noodles, there is a handful of tiny deep - fried, brown and cube-shaped things. I'm not sure what it is actually called but it adds flavour and makes the dish smell really nice.

nasi goreng ($10.80):
Nasi goreng is a Malay style fried rice. Bits of mini dried shrimp a long with spring onions and also dry fried onions. this was nice but a bit bland because there were too few prawns and very small amounts of egg. The rice however was fragrant and tasty. A runny egg would have been good with this, should have ordered it (it's 2.50 extra) damn! Actually, we might not have been able to finish it.. so maybe its a good thing after all!

Servings are very generous. One rice or noodle dish was probably be enough for two people so I guess they're reasonable prices - $13.10 pp. The waitress actually giggled at us and said to us "three people? can you finish all this? "
albee's kitchen
2/44 park road
cabramatta, nsw, australia
t: 02 9728 6556
menu click here

Albee's Kitchen on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates



Meet The Author

 photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

Google+