chinese tea eggs ( 茶叶蛋)


did not even know this sort of egg existed until late primary school years when we had a cultural lesson in chinese community languages and the loving chinese teacher decided to make this for us. who knew the child me, who hated eggs, would come to eat this all the time

chinese tea eggs – 茶叶蛋 (cháyèdàn)
what you'll need:
  • 6 medium to large eggs
  • 2 tablespoons of green tea or black tea
  • 1/2 cup of soy sauce
  • 1-2 teaspoons of salt and sugar
  • 4 pieces of star anise
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • a few strips dried mandarin peel (optional) (really makes it smell nicer!)
  1. place the 6 eggs in a pot with enough water so that it just covers all the eggs. (the pot doesn't need to be very big) and turn on the heat. When the water is boiling, lower it and let it simmer for a few minutes.
  2. remove the eggs and once they have cooled down ( you can get a bowl and place them in cold water for a few minutes if you like), make cracks on the shell with a knife, fork or spoon. Try to make it as even as possible. 
  3. place the eggs in the pot again and add all the ingredients. It should turn into a really black browny colour. simmer for a few hours with the lid one. if you leave it over night, it will absorb those flavours in the water and taste even better!
you can eat this hot or cold! with pao fan( 泡饭 ),or noodles! you can even take them on long trips! hohoho so tasty
happy tea egging~

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates



Meet The Author

 photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

Google+