kura kura japanese casual dining, haymarket

Any catch-up with a friend is an excuse for food. Like me, I'm sure many of you have walked past Kura Kura a hundred times and never even thought of trying it out. For me, this was until today when a friend and I walked out of market city for dinner and it started pouring like crazy. We just wanted to get out of the rain as soon as possible and settled on Kura Kura because it was just across the road.

kura kura:
We went in at 5PM without any expectations of the food or service. We were just hungry and wet. Once we were seated, the waitress handed us an ipad for us to order our dishes. The self-ordering service on the iPad was pretty impressive. Everything was categorized and really simple to use. But even with the technology, the staff were still helpful and really friendly.

nankotsu karaage ($5.00):

Deep fried cartilage chicken bones. We saw the golden brown and mouthwatering picture on the iPad so we were thinking - "Why not? Let's try something different".

main sushi ($19.80):

The main sushi consisted of 8 pieces of nigiri, 6 pieces of small sushi rolls and 2 pieces of large sushi rolls.
They were extremely generous with the amount of salmon in our small sushi rolls. Whoever thought of the salmon and avocado combination, I can't thank you enough. Every mouthful with the smooth melt-in-your mouth salmon was heaven. I didn't want it to end.

The nigiri were simply lovely. The sashimi slices were plump and tasted super fresh. You just couldn't get enough of it - it was that good.

gomajiru udon ($10.50):

The gomajiru udon was a dish with home-made cold udon noodles served with a spicy sesame dipping sauce with steamed chicken. I also really liked this dish! The noodles were springy and the cool dipping sauce had a really nice tang to it. Suited the humid weather perfectly.

After doing some research on Kura Kura, I think I'll be back to try more of their dishes (especially their okonomiyaki and other cold noodle dishes!). The prices aren't bad at all. I'm also glad that unlike Kura I at the storefront, Kura Kura is a much more established restaurant with space to dine without feeling like you're on the Japanese subway during peak hours.
Kura Kura Japanese Casual Dining
Shop 3, 76 Ultimo Rd
Sydney NSW 2000
t: (02) 9212 5661

Kura Kura Japanese Casual Dining on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates



Meet The Author

 photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

Google+