nacho omelette

Raymond Kim is a Korean celebrity chef who appeared on Happy Together to celebrate the first anniversary of its Late Night Cafeteria segment. On this particular episode he introduced his version of Spanish Omelette called, Nacho Omelette.

The MCs on the show Yoo Jaesuk and  Park Myungsoo said it was the best dish they had ever tasted on the segment and it makes all the other dishes on the menu look pathetic. Myungsoo even went on to say that in the past they've had sweet dishes, salty dishes and chilli dishes but Raymond Kim's dish packs a punch of flavours and really satisfies all your taste buds. After hearing all these compliments, I knew I had to try it out for myself.


On this rare occasion, I just happened to have all the required ingredients lying around in the kitchen- both red and yellow bell peppers, green onions, onions, some potatoes and some nacho chips!

I accidentally broke one of the egg yolks.


With normal omelettes you would usually whisk the  eggs but try not to break the yolk with this recipe (Unless you like your eggs more cooked).



Recipe: Nacho Omelette by Raymond Kim
Ingredients

  • 1/4 yellow onion
  • a green chilli
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/4 yellow capsicum
  • 1/4 red capsicum
  • 3 small eggs
  • 1 small pared potato
  • nacho chips
  • tabasco
  • ketchup
  • finely chopped parsley 
What to do:
  1. Heat the frying pan before slicing the onion into crescent shapes and garlic into thin pieces. 
  2. Finely chop the green chilli, and slice the yellow and red capsicum into long thin strips.
  3. Add a little oil into the heated pan to fry the onion, green chilli and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. If you want the capsicum to be softened and fully cooked, you can lightly cook the capsicum strips with the onion and garlic.
  5. Set it aside once the onion begins to soften.
  6. Slice the potato into thin pieces using a peeler. If the slices are too thick, it won't cook through.
  7. Add the thinly sliced potatoes into the pan before cracking the 3 eggs on top. 
  8. Add the onion, green chilli, garlic and capsicum on top of the eggs - like adding pizza topping to a potato based pizza. Season with salt and pepper.
  9. Add some Ketchup and Tabasco according to your own preference.
  10. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese before covering with a lid. Once the cheese has melted, It's done.
  11. Optional (If you don't have time, this is an alternative to waiting until the cheese melts): When the egg potato base looks firm, flip it. Flip it back again so the side with 'toppings' and cheese are visible. 
  12. Serve with crushed nachos and finely chopped parsley. 


The nachos give a nice crunch to the dish while the under cooked potatoes makes the base somewhat chewy. Plus there's a really nice chilli kick to the whole dish.

I didn't want to flip my omelette because I didn't want things to get messy and I thought it looked better 3D then with the toppings squished into the omelette. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Instagram Photostream

Twitter Updates



Meet The Author

 photo lel_zpscf55f250.jpg

Hi there! My name is Anna. I'm nineteen, in my second year of uni (UNSW) and born in Sydney. This blog is about my gastronomic adventures in Australia and abroad. It all started when I got new camera (Samsung Ex1) and since then, I've been mainly taking photos of food. So, I decided to document everything on this blog.

I'm still learning to take nice pictures - my camera isn't exactly the greatest but it works.

Oh, and I think we should get this out of the way (just in case you decide to unfriend me) I'm not a fan of chocolate or coffee. (Yes you saw right).

Anyway, enough about me - thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy!

Google+